In the first part of this series, we discussed domain names and how to get an setup an account on one of the major site creation providers. Today we’ll talk about some of the content which should be provided on a personal site and how to apply this to a basic design on WordPress.
Personal Site Part 2 – Basic Personal Website Design
When creating a website, the first thing we need to do is determine what the site is for. Are you creating an online resume, are you trying to sell a service or even an online portfolio. Based on what you are trying to do with this site the content will follow suit.
The purpose of this article is first to get accustomed to using the site editor, so this will be pretty simple stuff starting off.
For our example site, we will be creating an online resume for a sales professional.
The first step in getting your website up and running is gathering up all the information you plan on putting on your website first. Grab your resume, certifications, degrees and any other information about yourself that you can use to sell yourself and put them aside for your own reference, we’ll be using them today and in future installments.
The next step is determining how exactly you are going to sell yourself. Create an elevator pitch- imagine you are in an elevator and you have less than a minute to sell yourself to a perspective employer or excellent connection. We will use this elevator pitch in the body of the site.
A Sales Professional with over five years experience in professional and executive sales. Proven ability to increase sales by over 15% and thrives in working in a customer oriented team environment. An enthusiastic team player who believes the customer is always right.
The elevator pitch you include on your website should be at least 3 sentences and no longer than 5, roughly a paragraph.
We also need to create a headline for your elevator pitch which should consist of who you are and what you are excellent at.
A Sales Professional, Who Has Excellent Interpersonal Skills and Thrives To Make The Customer Happy.
Apply Content to Design
We will be using WordPress for this site, so head over to WordPress and login to your account you created in part 1, or click on that link and check the section on WordPress to see how to create an account. To begin, follow these steps to update our WordPress site.
- For this example we’ll be using the Goran theme as our base.
- If you don’t have it selected all ready, click themes on the left menu. If you do, move onto the next set of steps
- In the theme window, type goran in the search bar.
- It will be the only theme available, click the ellipsis and select activate.
- From your WordPress account dashboard click the pages link in the left menu.
- The name of your blog with a house icon next to it will be one of the available pages, click on the ellipsis(…) and select edit, this will bring you to the page editor.
- You will see the featured image at the top and the text editor below.
- Click in the text editor.
- From the menu click on the drop down that says paragraph (or possible header 1) and select header 1.
- Type your name and hit enter.
- From the menu click the drop down and select header 2.
- Type your headline in here and hit enter.
- From the menu click the drop down and select paragraph.
- Type your elevator pitch here.
- Click preview on the left to see a preview of your changes.
- Close the preview and click update.
- Navigate to your WordPress site to see the changes live!
- If everything worked properly, it should look similar to our test site.
This week we covered some very basic changes to your site. One of the main reasons we use the headers the way we did was to assist in SEO (Search Engine Optimization). We’ll cover this topic more in depth in the future. At this point we will say that it is important to keep keywords in your headers. In the next few instalments we will begin to list experience, education, skills and more. We will also create other pages and link them back to the main page to create a fuller, more useful site.
Also, if you need any help setting up, designing or marketing you personal site. Contact us and for a reasonable price, we will get you on the right track. An assessment is absolutely free!